International Student Program
Whistler Waldorf School welcomes students from around the world.* Over the past 3 years we have enrolled students from Germany, the Netherlands, the United States, Switzerland and France. International students achieve increased fluency in English, gain a strong academic background and develop an understanding of Canadian culture.
- Our curriculum is diverse and challenging.
- Our faculty is generous and helpful.
- Our small community is welcoming, homelike, and supportive.
*For Canadian out of province students not residing with a parent or guardian in British Columbia, international fees apply.
Students in Grades 9, 10, 11 and 12** are eligible to apply to our International Student Program. Students must enroll for a minimum of one semester. If you are not coming from a Waldorf School, we request that you research the Waldorf Curriculum. Our teaching methods are different than other public or independent schools. It is important that you understand this difference before you apply.
A basic understanding of English is required in order to participate in classes.
**Students who have attended Grade 10 and 11 at WWS are eligible to attend Grade 12.
ELL tutoring will be required for students with lower than recommended scores. At the request of WWS faculty, students who are struggling in their class will be required to participate in tutoring. Depending on the student’s English level, students will participate in English tutoring after school 2-3 times per week for a 1.5 hour session at $35/hr. Tutoring is designed to help support students with English and integrate them into the school and community as quickly as possible. Tutoring fees are in addition to boarding and tuition fees.
International Student / BC Non-Resident Student Application Procedure
Thank you for your interest in the High School Boarding Program for International Students and BC Non-resident Students at Whistler Waldorf School. Please review the following application procedure carefully.
Please submit the items below to the WWS Registrar at email@example.com.
- Completed Application Form
- Completed Student Questionnaire
- Copies of two most recent school reports
- A letter of introduction from the student
- A letter of support from parents or guardians
- A letter of reference from a teacher
- Copy of the student’s passport
- Copy of TOEFL test (or equivalent) if applicable
- $250 CAD application fee
The school will process the application package upon receiving all of the above documents as well as the application fee of $250 CAD.
After reviewing your application, we will contact you to schedule a Skype interview. This interview will be conducted by our High School Faculty Chair.
An admissions decision will be communicated within two weeks of your interview.
Signed contracts, together with the non-refundable $2,000 enrollment deposit, must be returned within one week of the admissions decision.
The school will issue a letter of acceptance and a letter of custodianship. It is the responsibility of the parents to organize required visas through the Canadian Embassy or VAC centre in your country.
Information on Canadian visas and study permits can be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp.
In addition to our tuition fees of $22,000 and our homestay fees outlined under the following Homestay tab, you will be responsible for ELL tutoring (if needed) at $35/hour, visa fees, medical insurance premiums, your own spending money, as well as travel expenses to and from Whistler.
Homestay accommodation fee: $1,100 per month.
Homestay fee includes:
- private room which includes a comfortable bed, study table, and lamp
- three meals per day, snacks, and drinks
- laundry facilities
- transportation to and from school, if required
- opportunities to participate in family activities
- support for student interest in cultural, athletic and community activities
- emotional support if the student suffers from homesickness or difficulties at school
- inclusion in family outings, special occasions and recreational activities
The WWS International Student Program Coordinator will provide weekly check-ins at school and monthly support visits for the first three months to ensure that the homestay arrangement is going well.