Tuition Adjustment Application and Process 2016 / 17
Choosing independent education for your child and family is a decision that requires much consideration, on both philosophical and financial levels. In an ideal world we would choose the educational system we want for our children based on its relative merits and not by financial ability to pay. But, since the current reality is such that alternative choices are not fully-funded by government, we, as an organization, must provide the additional funds needed to pay our teachers, provide a roof over our student’s heads and for classrooms resources.
While we endeavour to keep our fees as low as possible, it is impossible to not have these fees. And while most teachers in a Waldorf school recognize they chose this job because it is their passion than for high financial reward, the school community must take responsibility for providing a livable salary so that they can be free to serve our children.
Please note that this process is not intended to put up barriers for tuition adjustment, but to ensure that a fair and transparent process is in place so the school can be a healthy, financially responsible and fully accountable organization. If it is truly a financial hardship to your family to pay the full fees, then tuition adjustment will be granted confidentially and without judgment. We trust that every family will evaluate their financial situation honestly and provide the documentation required in a timely manner.
When applying for tuition adjustment for your family, please consider the following:
What can our family provide to ensure that the school is financially healthy and viable, ensuring that this education is available to my family in the future?
Are there any other funding sources that can be pursued? Is there a parent, grand-parent, or family relative who might be inspired to help with tuition or make a donation to the school?
What choices have we made to free-up our financial situation to allow us to contribute to the school?
Is our family’s need for tuition adjustment temporary? When our financial situation changes positively, can we provide more, or can we re-pay the difference?
Application Procedure and Timeline
To apply for tuition adjustment, please complete the following 5 steps:
- Complete the Tuition Adjustment Application 2016-17 (232K PDF)
- Compose a short letter, addressed to the Tuition Adjustment Committee, indicating:
– the details surrounding your application for tuition adjustment
– how much tuition adjustment you are asking for, or what you evaluate you are able to contribute, and
– if temporary, how long you anticipate you will need tuition adjustment.
- Complete the Tuition Adjustment Expense Worksheet 2016-17 (30K Excel). This can help you determine what level of tuition adjustment you may need. Please do not put your name on the worksheet. (PDF version: TA Expense Worksheet 2016-17)
- Attach a copy of your family’s 2015 Notice of Assessment tax information. (If your 2015 Notice of Assessment is not available, please include your 2014 copy.)
- Drop off the package in a sealed envelope, marked confidential, to the school office, care of Diane Riley, TA Chair.
An independent financial specialist will review the information (in confidence, all names and social insurance numbers will be removed by the TA chairperson) and make recommendations to the TA Chairperson.
The TA Chairperson will then contact the family on or before April 11 and let them know the level of tuition adjustment granted. If the level is higher than the cover letter indicated, the applicant will have the opportunity to provide additional information that the committee may not have considered.
The TA Chair will provide a report, in confidence, to the Whistler Waldorf School bookkeeper for entry into the accounts.
The adjusted tuition is paid over 12 months with the first tuition payment due May 1 and the final payment April 1 of the following year.
School Supply Fees are not eligible for adjustment. A post dated cheque is due May 1, payable August 1.
Preschool Programs are not eligible for Tuition Adjustment.